JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Sunday 6 September 2015

Long weekend!

Molly and Daisy running around the garden!
Yesterday we went to my Grandparents.  It was a difficult day.  My Grandfather has dementia and is getting worse fast.  Molly loved it! She got to run around their garden with their dog Daisy.  She had a great time running about and getting up to mischief! By the time we went home Molly was shattered but as usually she wouldn't admit it, she laid down all the way home but wouldn't sleep!  Once she got home it was another matter.  She curled up on my lap and slept sound!

It was lovely to see my Grandma again.  Steve and Teri cut her hedge as it's too much for her to do (It's huge and took hours to cut!) It means she can carry on doing the rest of the garden and keep it neat and tidy.

I'm going to try something new this week!  I have noticed the more I use my walking frame rather than my stick the better my left hip is.  On top of the spinal injury, I've got mild arthritis in my hips, plus I've got Hypermobility (Double jointed!) so the movement in my hips isn't great but since I've been walking with my frame more than my stick it's got better.  I was looking online when I saw a bit on Nordic Walking.  It says you use poles that are similar to ski poles and they take the pressure off you hips and knees and get your upper body working more.  This is kind of what's happened with me and the frame.  The frame is helping my upper body to hold myself up and taking the strain off my hip which means it's getting a chance to heal and strengthen.   Now I want to get away from using my frame so much.  I'd like to get to a point where I never have to use anything and I just get up and walk wherever I want.  So I've got some walking poles and I'm going to start doing short walks with them.  I might even go out twice in a day, once around the park on the poles then with the frame and Molly around the fields.  I'm going to see how I go!

Wish me luck!! x

No comments:

Post a Comment